The big day is almost here — the steering committee spent most of the day putting the finishing touches on students’ welcome packages, judges’ evaluation kits, workshop details, getting the souvenir program ready for publication and lots more.
Here’s a snapshot of what the day will look like:
7:45 – 8:10 a.m. Student arrivals. Please proceed to check-in stations in the atrium.
8 a.m. Judges’ orientation begins.
8:25 a.m.: Ottawa Police Services Pipe Band piper Neil Bell summons everyone to the opening ceremonies. Please proceed to the gymnasium when you hear the skirl of the pipes!
8:30 a.m.: Opening ceremony
- O Canada, performed by Phia Lynne.
- Greetings from:
– Dr. André Plourde, Dean of the Faculty of Public Affairs, Carleton University
– Dr. Susan Whitney, Associate Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Social Science, Carleton University
– Dr. Jennifer Adams, Director, Ottawa-Carleton District School Board
– Ms. Manon Séguin, Superintendent, Student Success Department (Intermediate and Secondary), Ottawa Catholic School Board
- Prof. Susan Harada, Associate Director, Carleton School of Journalism and Communication, welcomes us to the River Building and opens the third annual National Capital History Day
- A special greeting from CBC correspondent Nahlah Ayed
8:50 a.m.: Opening ceremony ends and is followed by a 10-minute break. Students and judges proceed to interviews/workshops.
9 a.m.: Workshops Begin. Judging of all categories begins.
11 a.m.: Most workshops end. Students may proceed to their complimentary lunch in the food court (located in the nearby University Centre).
- All judging ends.
- All judges’ evaluations must be submitted to Registrar Alison Peters.
- Exhibit Hall opens: Be sure to check out our student exhibits.
Prize Draw: Join us in the auditorium to win some great prizes from National Capital History Day supporters.
12:20 p.m. Keynote. Ry Moran, Director of the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation at the University of Manitoba.
1 p.m. Awards Ceremony.
- Medal presentations
2 p.m. Awards Ceremony ends.
2:15 p.m. Students board buses for departure.